Kaun - Went?

Today was an interesting day, rather a very insightful day. Having studied from a convent all through from school days (right from K.G till 12th!!), I had an undisclosed affection for it, so to say an innate pride in the fact that I’m a convent pass out. Those who say that convents propagate Christianity, I out rightly refute! They worship their religion, no doubt, they do tell you about Jesus BUT they don’t compel you to convert (neither do they brainwash as I’ve heard many a times)
Ok, coming back to the plot, today was an art competition on the topic ”My Delhi, Clean Delhi” initiated by …..AOL( people would have guessed :P) . It was a part of the mega project “Meri Dilli Meri Yamuna” (www.meridillimeriyamuna.org). I was volunteering for the competition and got a convent school (not mentioning the name) in North Delhi. Yippee! I was on cloud nine!
If you are a fan of / admire something, you have that superhigh feeling when you are in the presence of your admiration! Same happened with me initially BUT I was shocked by what I saw and observed there!
I met students from Class III-VI. All were very cute kids except for the fact that they were scared (of their teachers), lacked confidence and seemed puzzled and perplexed. It was such a plight! Teachers came, yelled as if they were bhed bakri. How can a teacher command respect when they themselves don’t know how to give it!! I understand for discipline, strictness is essential but strictness is not a synonym for yelling and scaring!I wonder if they have kids studying in other schools, can they bear the same treatment with their own kids?
Talking about students – it was a heart rendering sight – they were competing against each other in a grave way, reluctant to share anything (crayons etc..) ) With others thinking it would lead to their own loss....meanness was at its peak! “Sharing is caring” was not something they would have heard of. As children they are not to be blamed for this, it is their pedigree that matters.
Teachers were least bothered about the well being of the kids – too many questions from kids seemed to raise their ire. Well, if students are discouraged from asking questions, how will they ever apply their mind??? Mind always seeks answers and if it doesn’t get them, it shuts! Unlike other professions, teaching, according to me, is not a 8 to 2 job wherein you come, dirty the blackboard , give homework , punish and go. They have the responsibility of nurturing the tender hands, developing the sixth sense and finding the treasure in each child! Alas! Everything missing!
Parents send their kids with the hope of giving them quality education and a bright future but neither of the two is happening
I always use to wonder what reasons could be given to do an Art Xl or a YES course..just by observing the kids for a few hours today , I am dead sure that this is needed urgently! For them to grow, to realize their potential, to take on the world and maintain that smile, it calls for a YES!!

May they be blessed soon :)

JGD
Kaun - Went? Kaun - Went? Reviewed by Unknown on Thursday, April 22, 2010 Rating: 5

1 comment:

You may also like

Templates
Powered by Blogger.