Orphanage - someone's HOME :)


Wrote it a few hours back :)

***********
Happy Children’s Day! A day is as special as you make it to be. If we look at the macro level, dates like 14 Nov, 5 Sept etc. are merely dates now but with a sanctity attached to it, they become days of celebrative mode!


Today is yet another 14th November.  I had long been intending to visit “Ashran”, an orphanage in West Delhi. I have been there twice earlier. It’s been running there since 4 years and caters to kids till the age of 10. While writing this post, a sudden thought came…Why am I writing this?? Social service is not something to be bragged about or showed off. I checked inside and found that intention is not to show off, but to share my experience and make people aware. As great as it may seem by the pics below, I don’t think I did anything great to change the lives of those kids. They would be leading the same life. They would have had the same dinner tonight and right now they would be sleeping at the same place! So this visit, in any which way, was not a level turner but yes, I feel I did contribute in a small little way by spreading smiles. And so did others who came along.

The orphanage had around 20 people when I visited last time but this time there were only 8 kids, 2 of them infants. They were super cute and made me feel why would their parents desert them?? I may do some cuddling right now to make them smile but what about their future? I wish they get adopted soon by good families. I am suddenly reminded of Sushmita Sen. I admire that woman. It makes me question. Will I do the same? Answer coming is if I can I will, definitely. And if not adopt, in the long run financially yes. Out of the other six kids, 2 were disabled. I don’t feel like using the term but let’s be honest to ourselves. They do have metal problem and cannot not behave and play like the normal kids. One thing I have realized is that the problem is not that we have special sympathy for the special kids but that we don’t treat them like normal ones. If we can treat them better than that, great but mere sympathies does not help. It should reflect in actions too.

Of the 2, one of them, Anshu, as per the caretaker was mentally retarded. The other one, Nitin had cerebral Palsy. Anshu was brought by the Police to this orphanage and it is said when she was brought she had a bulging stomach, so much so that the veins could be seen easily. Physically now she is ok. She bangs her head occasionally if not taken care of and bites her hands. Socks have been put in her hands so that she doesn’t bite herself. I spent time with her and was amazed to see how well she responded! At first I couldn’t understand her reactions. She screamed, raised her voice but would not speak a word. I thought she was scared but then the caretaker told it’s her way of showing elation J Trust me, I felt SO fulfilled inside at that moment. May be for few minutes, but at least I was part of her happiness. Guruji says aise log duniya mein sewa lene aaye hai. And I was happy to serve in the tiny way.



The other 4 kids were 2 girls and 2 boys: Nanhi, Vansh, Roshan and Shanti. Nanhi was the notorious of the lot or I can say the most energetic and the one who enthralled all. J She was talkative, bossy and a master. Initially we played with Roshan and Vansh with the balls provided. One of us acted as batsman along with them. The original cricket was twisted with many balls thrown at a time and later no bat only balls thrown on the batsman! A while later Nanhi entered the scene, collected all the balls and kept it in her bag and did not let ANYONE take it. If somebody would come even close she would shoo them away and make some gestures like a headmistress does! Her bossiness combined with the child like innocence made everyone follow her ordersJ.

After the outdoor stint, we played indoors and guess one of the games??? Chidiya ud, tota ud! Hahhahha But it was a twisted version again with lot of punches and fun element! I feel when you are in that child like state; whatever you do becomes a celebration. It may be the silliest thing in the world but it will make you go bonkers! :D 





Laxmi was a quiet child throughout. She didn’t mingle much and simply listened but when we were leaving, the way she wrapped herself around me said it all. Every kid looks for love, for protection, for security. It may sound an exaggeration but I had motherly feelings that time. The way she was holding me and refusing to leave. Kids who are introvert have so much stored in them which they take out through gestures.




I don’t know if our visit helped them. But I know one thing - something is better than nothing. Some people can give money. Some can give time. Visiting an orphanage acts like a reality check how blessed we are. No matter we may have 100 problems in life but at least we have the basic needs well taken care of. In Ashran, if these kids are not adopted till the age of 10, they shall be sent to some other orphanage. Imagine their lives. No home. No one to call their own.From the bottom of my heart I pray may the best happen to them. If you are reading this post, I request you to visit an orphanage if you haven’t visited yet. Those who earn well, please sponsor a child so that the education and needs are taken care of. If you know people who want to or can adopt, please do give them the contact. And those who can spend time please spend some time in educating or making them smile. I do not wish to sound preachy. You may be the one doing lot more than what I have stated. Would be great if you share it J

I feel happy to be associated with Art of Living. A proud feeling to be made useful.

The details of the orphanage. It may be of help J
Ashran
A 46, New Multan Nagar.
Near Paschim Vihar metro station
Contact person. Ms. Jolly 9818117125

Keep Smiling J
Swati

Orphanage - someone's HOME :) Orphanage - someone's HOME :) Reviewed by Unknown on Thursday, November 15, 2012 Rating: 5

No comments:

You may also like

Templates
Powered by Blogger.